Tarent Street or Duck Street, Rutland Island, Inishmacadurn, County Donegal, Ireland
This little island just off shore Burtonport has very few permanent inhabitants. It was previously populated in the 18th century with a settlement being established in 1789 by “William Burton Conynham” including this street of houses and businesses “Duck Street” together with the island’s post office, school house, fish landing and processing facility.
Sadly fish catches declined heavily shortly after the construction and finally with most services either closing or leaving, the island eventually became permanently uninhabited in the 1960’s.
Today the island is enjoying a new lease of life, with some of the descendants of the original island families renovating their old homes with the help of the Donegal Islands Trust. There are no roads on Rutland Island (hence the grassy street) & although mains electricity reached it in 1957, to date it still does not have mains water! The good life